Bangladesh village shaken after lashed girl's death

Dorbesh Kha witnessed the full horror of his daughter's punishment
Bangladesh - Looking at the mobile phone picture of his daughter, labourer Dorbesh Kha weeps uncontrollably. He says he will never forget the way she suffered and he will never forgive those responsible. Mr Kha's youngest girl, 14-year-old Hena Begum, was accused of having an affair with her married cousin and publicly lashed in a punishment meted out by villagers under Islamic Sharia law. She died in hospital a week later and on Monday her body was exhumed for another post-mortem examination to ascertain the cause of her death. Her family members claim she died of her injuries. While the initial post-mortem said there were no signs of external or internal injuries, the latest one concluded that she had bled to death because of multiple wounds. Mr Kha was there to witness the horror of his daughter being lashed publicly. Sitting in front of his small tin-sheet house in the village of Chamta, Mr Kha says the grainy picture on his phone is one of the few things left which remind him of his daughter. "I feel like I am left alone now. My world goes blank whenever I remember my daughter's face. I don't know whether I will ever overcome this tragedy." Life will never be the same again in this picturesque village, surrounded by lush green paddy fields, wetlands and clusters of small tin-sheet houses. It is a remote place with a close-knit community and still doesn't have proper road access. Full Story>>

Bangladesh village shaken after lashed girl's death http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12398757